Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

They Do Tip Well When You Speak Their Language

I'm aware that I wrote a lot of smack in my last post "Euro Convention" about foreigners and their alleged clueless tipping habits.  Therefore, it's only fair (and practically mandatory) that I mention the great satisfaction I experience when I speak their language, and in the end, tipped well for my ability to make an deeper connection.

I'll begin with the various French (and/or French Canadian) people who sat in my section.  I would say in general, French people are known for being a tad snobbish.  However, my experience recently has been au contraire.  Immediately, when I realize my guests are speaking French, I always break the ice with, "Oh.. parlez-vous français?" Without hesitation, they'll look up instantly and smile.  Of course sometimes a person will keep speaking French at which point I have to say, "Ok... That's all I can really say, apart from a few other words..."  Then of course the conversation shifts to how I took French in high school because I took ballet growing up, or that I've traveled through France, along with other random French-related subjects.  When it's time to drop the check, I always say, "Merci Beaucoup Monsieur (or Madame) _____," and I try to pronounce their name in my best French accent.  Surprisingly, I do quite well with the pronunciation (for only taking a few years of high school French back in the 90's).  Generally, after I've had some fun with my French clients,  I receive 15%-20% tips from the majority of them; almost inconceivable from what others have to say about how the French tip.

Now, onto the Spanish speakers, with whom I can converse the best with among foreigners.  I love waiting on Spanish speakers because I feel like I have a lot in common with them (for those new to my blog I used to co-own a business in South America for three years).   If I hear my guests speaking Spanish, I'll start the same way as I do with my French tables, except of course, in Spanish.  "¿Hablan español?"  After I flash my confident smile, I continue speaking Spanish and dive right into my line of questions.  "What country are you from?  What city?  Why are you in San Diego?  Have you been here before?..."  Sometimes I get carried away in these circumstances and forget I have six other tables I should be paying attention to.  But it's hard to just cut the conversation short when it's going so well, because not only do I love to practice, but speaking Spanish it's something I'm proud of.  I can't even think of how many times this has helped me not only gain respect in the Spanish speaking community, but it can also get a much more respectful tip.  It's amazing how strong the common bond of language can be, and how many doors it can truly open. 

Equally as fun as rubbing shoulders with the Spanish folk is observing how the white people at the tables next to me react when all of a sudden I bust out into fluent Spanish. I can feel them starting at me with my peripheral vision in awe like, "No way this girl is just breaking out her Spanish right now..." I will say, it feels good to leave that kind of an impression on people.

Bottom line, I've learned so much about human connections and how something as simple as a few words in a common language can change everything.  Even a simple "Obrigada" to a group of lively Brazilians, or a "Skol!" to some friendly Norwegians can quickly bring a smile to their faces and perhaps completely change their mood.  And above all, it'll completely change their perception of you.  You can completely transform yourself from ... let's say ... the "All American Girl Waitress" to the "Well Taveled, Multi-lingual Entertainer Extraordinaire!"  OK, that might be pushing it a bit.  

But you get my point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment