Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de Murphy

I have family in town and I was so excited they were going to visit me at work today.  It was a fairly slow day today in the restaurant because of Cinco de Mayo.  Every San Diegan celebrates the day by consuming disturbing amounts of margaritas, tacos and other Mexican favorites - but that was definitely not happening at my restaurant.  I thought to myself, "Sweet.  I'll have plenty of time to chat with them when they get here." 

About five minutes before they walk in the door, the bartender goes on break.  Our newest manager steps behind the bar.   I love her to death but she's not a bartender.  Bottom line.  She makes everyone nervous when she gets behind the bar.  Just about then, I swear, practically all of my tables start ordering drinks, and not just a daft beer or a vodka and soda, specialty drinks: martinis, mojitos, blended margaritas and chilled shots were being ordered like they were all going down on a plane.  I go to the bar to get the first table's drinks.  She has the blended drink made on the rocks, and the rocks drink blended.  She has to remake both.  She also made only two house specialty cocktails instead of three.  The mojito looked like a sad concoction of a few mint leaves and soda water.  Meanwhile, my aunt and uncle walk in the door.  Yay!  I'm so happy they made it in.  But damn what timing!  I want to hang out with them and relax but this was the most inopportune moment since we'd opened this morning.  I had to "put out the fires" in the bar while juggling everything else that was going on.  I thought, "I've been slow literally all day, and now they're here and I'm dealing with this? Ugh."  What a nightmare.  Little by little, I made it through that hump, fixing the cocktails, pouring beer and wine, checking in with my tables, but at a painful cost.  I was able to chat with them here and there, but not as much as I'd hoped.  

Of course about five minutes or so after they left, my tables started asking for their checks, paying and leaving.  Why Murphy?  Why do you do this to us humans?  Why does your law work like science?  It's almost always under the most important circumstances that if things can go wrong, they will.  It's inevitable. 

Alright, time to enjoy a cold Mexican beer and snack on some chips and salsa .. along with the rest of San Digeo.  I'll be damned if Murphy is going to ruin my Cinco de Mayo. 

*** (thank you K & S and I hope you had fun watching me in action!) ***

No comments:

Post a Comment