Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

The Ability to Adapt to Change

It almost never fails:  if a day goes by when there's not an external (guest) issue, there most definitely will be some type of internal (operational/employee) issue.

Yesterday was one of those days.

The coastal fog was sitting heavy in the sky yesterday, and at this restaurant, that's practically a guarantee we won't be as crowded as we might normally be.  On Sundays, especially on Sundays, this is a relief to most of us.

My section was the outdoor patio.  It was cold and there were some takers in the morning, but not many.  Most of the guests wanted to sit inside.  To be fair with the cover count (meaning every server should be seated with the same number of guests), my manager started seating me tables inside as well.  While this seemed like a good idea, and at least in his defense it was at the time, this made my life extremely difficult.  The main issue was the two stations were literally on the opposite sides of the restaurant.  The outside patio is located at the furthest place from the kitchen while my newly appointed inside station was literally sharing a glass wall with the kitchen.  To get from the lower patio to the kitchen, I have to walk up one flight of stairs, past the host station, past a server station, up another flight of stairs, past another set of tables and then arrive at my new added section.  This is probably about 30 steps or so, which in server distance (and time), is freaking outrageous.

This is how it went down... present time.

I'm working in my section on the outdoor lower patio.  I have four tables.  I'm feeling good.  Guests are friendly, most were sad about the fog (thank god there is nothing I can do about that) but in general,  no major complaints or issues.  Then I'm told I'm picking up a table in the far inside section.  I'm happy to have another table, but not so happy about where it is.  As I'm taking their order, I get sat another table right next to them.  My stress level increases slightly.  Once I have both of their orders in, I head back down to the outside section.  I have another new table.  I start them off, touch base with my other outside tables and they all seem to be okay.  By the time I take the new table's order and head back inside, probably about 5 minutes later, I now see that I have two more new tables inside.  At this point, my stress peaks again and my heart starts to race.  Four tables inside and five outside.  Great.  I hurry to these new tables, who of course, are a bit high maintenance.  The guests at both tables were asking me tons of questions about the menu, the wine menu, beer options... etc.. Stress is now at a seven out of ten.  If they only knew what I was thinking about.  I bring them samples of wine, I put appetizer orders in, I'm freaking out about not having even seen the lower patio in what feels like at least ten minutes (which is way too long to be away from your section).  I have to tell my managers.  They both agree.  One section or the other. I can't keep getting sat in both.  They agree to keep sitting me inside because almost everyone is wanting to sit indoors.  I feel somewhat better.  However, the next time I make it downstairs, I panic.  My stress level spikes to a ten.  Everyone is waving me down, all my tables need refills, plates cleared coffee, checks, separate checks, and oh wait, is that a new table too?  What the?  Ugh.  I ask the host, "Another table?"  She smiles and says, "That's your last one outside." I scream inside.  I hustle and work as efficiently as possible.  Almost everyone out there seems a bit annoyed that they haven't seen me in a while.  I let most of my tables know about the situation (because I feel being honest with them is better than them thinking I'm not good at my job).  Nine times out of ten, they're going to me on my side, and that makes me feel a little less stressed.  I take my last table's order outside, pushing for them to order both food and drink at once to help save time.  I finally drop checks, get refills, clear dishes and do everything in my power to finish working that section before heading back inside, because god only knows where my busser is (he's just as stressed out as I am over this whole fiasco).  It is up to me to solve and manage all of the issues.  As I reach the second flight of stairs, yet again, I sense the same neediness and irritability as I did when I entered my outside station ten or so minutes ago.  I can't catch up!  And, damn, is that a new table again?  .....  Eventually, my tables dwindled outside and I started to become more stable in my upper inside station.  At the end of my shift, no guest was too upset and my managers apologized for putting me in that situation (at least they recognized what they'd done to me, and equally, what I'd done for them).

Encompassing the ability to adapt to change is crucial for survival in the restaurant industry.  However, acting the part, is almost just as essential.  If I had cracked under the pressure and showed it to my guests in any way, it would have made the guests uncomfortable, made me seem unprofessional and their experience definitely would not have been as pleasurable.  You've got to be quick: both physically and mentally, or this business just isn't for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment