Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Intro: (With Addendum)

I'm starting this blog for a plethora of reasons.

For starters, I desperately need an outlet to vent my frustrations in the food and beverage industry.  I can't keep complaining to my friends and family anymore or they're all going to start ignoring my phone calls.

Secondly, I want to share with the world (well ... with a few friends and family for now anyway) the outrageous scenarios that occur on a daily basis in this dynamic and ever-fascinating industry.  If you've never worked a day in a restaurant, you're going to be both shocked and intrigued with the way the industry operates.

Thirdly (and sadly), you'll probably also be disturbed with the way certain humans are treating other humans.  That being said, the general public as a whole, is pretty darn cool.  But it is very tragic how a few bad potatoes can ruin the entire basket of fries.  We, as servers, work very hard in the hospitality industry, day in and day out.  Sometimes we work ten hour days or more and during busy seasons and sometimes eight or nine days in a row or more.  And our job - first and foremost - is hospitality.  Our job is to give you what you want with a genuine interest in giving you the best service... and of course all with a smile (even if our significant other just broke up with us or even if we're dealing with a family tragedy).  It's our job to give you what you want no matter what is going on in our personal lives.  I think people tend to forget that a lot.  They tend to see us as "just a server," like we're robots of sorts, just taking orders and delivering food and beverage.

Therefore, servers need a voice.  And I want to give servers that voice.  We deserve it.  And not just the immature (albeit hilarious) voice like the 2005 comedy Waiting portrays, but a sincere invaluable voice I feel the public deserves to be educated about.

_________

Addendum:
After a year of writing, my theme has developed and grown quite maturely into more of a positive outlook on serving.  My earlier posts tended to be much more negative in a venting sort of way.  As the words flowed and the months passed, I realized I didn't enjoy writing about the negative as much as I loved writing about the positive.  I now enjoy finding the good in every possible situation.  I might not post as frequently, but when i do, there's usually an invigorating story with a much more philosophical spin and a deeper meaning.

I thoroughly enjoy this style of writing much more.  Life is too short to focus on the negative.  And I for one don't care to read a lot of negativity.  I'm much more motivated to read and write about the good of humanity.

Thank you to all for your continued support.  And as long as the feel-good stories keep flowing I'll keep writing and continue to serve humanity.  ~ HK ~


1 comment:

  1. sweet! bring it on! i'd love to know the outrageous part of your job.

    ReplyDelete