Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Layin’ Down the Law


Two ladies walked onto our patio with a three year old.  I politely greeted them and before I could even finish my opening question, “Would you like something to drink besides wa—” one of the ladies wearing a green t-shirt responded rudely, “No. Water is fine.”  Okaaaay.  I took another shot.  “How about anything besides water to drink for the little one?”  She practically cut me off again and said, “No.  Water only.”  Geese.  Someone needs a Xanax.  I decided to leave them alone for a bit to allow them to get situated (as well as to mentally prepare for my next encounter with that woman).

After I saw their menus set aside for a while, I decided I should return, albeit reluctantly.  The lady in the green t-shirt said, “We’re going to share a rainbow roll.  But I want all of the fish seared.”  Hmmm.  I looked up into the left corner of my brain to contemplate this possibility.   When she noticed this, she quickly validated her demand with, “I know they can do it.  They’ve done it for me before.”  Really?  Where?  Here?  I’d never seen this lady before in my life.  Something about this woman told me she was lying.  I replied as politely as I could, “Okay.  Well, I still have to ask the sushi chef if we can do it.  It’s not a usual request.  It’ll be a few minutes but I’ll be back.”   I A-lined it back to the kitchen and asked the sushi chef if she could sear all seven pieces of the fish on the roll.  She rolled her eyes, pondered for a moment then gave me the go ahead.

I ordered the specialty sushi roll in the computer then told the lady we could do it.  She said, “I knew it.”  Perhaps a “thank you” would have been nice to hear, Miss Appreciative. 

And now for the doozy.

As I was shaking my head in annoyance at the side station, I saw her take out a paper bag of tacos wrapped in foil.  Oh no she didn’t.  She took the tacos out of the foil and put them on one of our plates.  She started cutting them up and feeding them to the kid, taking bites herself along the way.  Keep in mind guests aren’t even allowed outside bottled water at our restaurant, let alone actual food. 

Let me recap.  Not only was this lady rude, she was sharing one single sushi roll with her friend, demanded special preparation for the roll and at that point had more food on the table than she even ordered.  And her roll wasn’t even out yet.  A restaurant is a place of business.  It’s not a picnic bench at the park. 

Reason #178 of why you should be nice to your servers:  If you’re nice to us, we might actually let you get away with bringing your own tacos into the restaurant we work at.  If a guest is friendly with me, for example, going out of their way to say, “Please” and “thank you,” I’m probably going to let the “no outside food or beverage” rule slide a bit.  But this green t-shirt lady?  Not a chance in her picnic party. 

Just about then, the food runner brought out the sushi roll.  I took a deep breath before I walked over to her table (because I hate laying down the law to people, especially the mean ones).  I would be a horrible policewoman.   “How’d that turn out?  Just how you wanted it?”  I asked as politely as possible even though I was fuming on the inside.   Green t-shirt lady replied, “Yes.  Fine.  I need Ponzu sauce.”  Of course she needed something.   Yet again, I A-lined it back to the kitchen to fetch her stupid sauce.  As I headed back, I realized it was time to say something about the tacos.  It was beyond ludicrous that she would even think that was acceptable. 

On my way down to her table, Ponzu sauce in hand, I gave myself a pep talk of epic proportions.  With my mental boxing gloves on, I was ready.  I placed the sauce on the table and flexed my authority. “Alright, here’s your Ponzu sauce… You know, you’re not supposed to have any outside food here.  I know it’s for the little one, but still.  If I told my manager, she would make you finish it on the boardwalk or throw it away.  She would not be happy with this.”  Green t-shirt lady gave me a nasty look and said, “I’ll take the check.”  So rude, yet fine by me.  Good riddance lady.

I dropped the check.  It was $19.48.  I stood at the host stand and told one of the greeters what was going on.  Just about then, I saw green t-shirt lady put down cash, pack up her things and leave.  At that moment, I told one of the greeters, “I bet she only leaves a $20 dollar bill.”    I was right.  She left me fifty-two cents for a tip after everything I did for her.  Of course it’s possible she would have left me that amount regardless of whether or not I behaved as server and policewoman.  I guess I will never know.   Regardless, I laid down the rules, kept my cool and perhaps saved another server from having to deal with that ridiculousness.  I bet green t-shirt lady thinks twice about bringing in outside food to another restaurant again.

Or maybe she will keep breaking the common sense restaurant laws for the rest of her life.  Who knows. 

But at least she won’t be doing that at the place I work at.  And as for my fellow servers, I know they appreciated my police work too.  

Because not only do I serve humanity, I serve with my fellow servers in mind as well.  ~ HK ~

No comments:

Post a Comment