Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

We Can Read People But We Aren't Mind Readers


A man left me a note on his signed credit card receipt that read, “Horribly slow service.”  In the office world, this would be the equivalent of a stranger writing a note on a sticky pad and slapping it on someone’s desk that said, “You suck at your job.”  Then with no further explanation, the person walks away, never to be seen again. 

You can imagine how frustrating that would be and why that nasty little phrase continues to haunt me.

First of all, his service was not “horribly slow.”   My busser and I were on our game.  Yes, it was a bit busy at that time, but it was manageable.  In no way did this couple wait an exorbitant amount of time for anything to deem it “horrible.” 

Secondly, if your soda was refilled constantly, would you call your service horrible?  When this man first ordered his Diet Pepsi he mentioned he would be drinking a lot of it.  As any attentive server would do, I prepared a pitcher of Diet Pepsi immediately and set it in my side station just a few feet away from his table in order to give him frequent refills.  I didn’t let his Diet Pepsi go empty for more than a few minutes; in fact I hardly let it get below ¾ empty.  He drank over two pitchers.  That alone should qualify as decent service… right?  He asked me to keep his drink full and between my assistant and I we did exactly that. 

In his defense, the food did take longer than it should have.  A first course should usually come out within ten minutes.  But this couple didn’t order a first course, so naturally it might have seemed like dinner took a while to come out.  From my calculations, their meal was delivered in 20-25 minutes (normally a dinner should arrive within that 20 minutes).  I even checked on them and told them their food should be coming out soon.  All he said was, “Okay.”  He never seemed angry. 

Shortly after their food came out, I asked him how their food was and he replied, “Fine” or perhaps “Good,” but nothing negative.

When he asked for the check, I brought it immediately.  I picked up his credit card within a couple minutes, ran it and brought it back instantly.  It couldn’t have been more than five minutes from the time he asked for the check until he received his credit card slip to sign.  For dinner service, that timeline should not be considered slow.

Thirdly (and the most frustrating part of leaving a note in this manner) is the lack of communication on his part.  If he was in a hurry, he should have told me.  If he didn’t enjoy his meal, he should have let me know.  Communication is key for both the server and the guest.  Most servers are good at reading people, but we can’t read minds.  If he mentioned he thought the food took too long, I could have at least tried to resolve the situation by offering soup or salad in the meantime or offering a dessert on the house to go.  Something.  But because I wasn’t aware he felt the way he did until after he left, how can I possibly fix the situation?  I’m convinced some people just prefer to be irritated and unhappy.    

On that note, I noticed this couple didn’t say much to each other throughout their entire meal.  I had been wondering if maybe they had just gotten into a fight.  Or perhaps he or she was having a bad week at work.  It’s also feasible they’re just quite people.  In any case, regardless of what they were going through, it still doesn’t seem fair to take out any possible personal issues on a random stranger who is providing a service. 

I serve humanity the best I can every day.  If you have an issue, tell me and most likely I'll be able to make it better.  It's that simple. 

One more important note:  My sensitivity meter was at an all time high on this particular day.  I had just spent the previous few days saying goodbye to my Grandfather for what will most likely be the last time before he passes.  I had to mention this as a reminder that you never know what a stranger might be going through; a simple reminder that we are all human beings and to treat others (even strangers) with kindheartedness and respect.  ~ HK ~


2 comments:

  1. "Secondly, if your soda was refilled constantly, would you call your service horrible?"

    It can be, because that's not the "ONLY" thing that counts in the service. I'd rather have not as often refills and my order correct honestly. My order being correct as far as things the server can control which is most issues if they put in the order right and end up bringing out the order, so for me that's the MOST important thing to me. Refills are secondary, but the are very important, but I don't view them as the most important.

    I have had horrible service with servers that have gotten orders completely wrong or orders forgotten to be put into the computer or overcharges, etc. Refills are sure not the "ONLY" thing to tip on. It's a huge part, but certainly not the most important thing.

    For example, my husband and I have stiffed for waiting too long for the check(once we waited 17 minutes to be able to leave and it wasn't busy. That's pretty unacceptable.

    Just saying that sure isn't the only aspect of service. For me as I said above, my order being correct is the SOLE MOST important issue to me. I am talking about obvious errors like missing condiments, wrong side dishes, etc. Things that the server can catch if they bring out my food *BEFORE* they leave the kitchen by comparing their written orders to the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We can read people but we aren't mind readers"

    This quote is something that irritates me in that a lot of servers out there try to read your mind.

    1. I hate when servers bring the check without asking permission first. Simply asking a question should not be viewed horrible and if a customer feels that way, they obviously don't want a server, they want to eat at home since they need communication to be able to let the server know what they want, so without it, you don't know.

    2. I hate when servers make ANY decisions for me like refills, etc. I sometimes want something else or maybe don't even want more.

    3. I hate when servers go by majority. We aren't all the same, so don't treat us as such. For example, I hate ketchup. I can't stand servers at restaurants that don't have the ketchup already on the table that they bring it to your table. Why not just "ASK" rather than wasting your time? Even if most people want it, not everyone will. It's not your time you are paying for, it's theirs, so they should get their service how they want it. If they don't like questions, they should either stay home, get take-out, or give their server a list of things to do, because as you said, no one can read minds.

    ReplyDelete