Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Good people DO still exist


It was a busy Wednesday lunch shift.  Convention attendants filled the restaurant on their brief hour and a half break.  I was working in fifth gear, in my flow, feeling proud of my impeccable multi-tasking abilities and generally feeling great. 

When I went to grab the check from my largest party of the day (three times as much as any of the others) I realized the credit card slip was missing.  Only the itemized copy was there.  My heart sank.  This was a table of 5 convention men who were friendly, ordered a lot of food and beverage and were more than pleasant to wait on.  My gut told me there’s no way they meant to stiff me. 

I swiftly bolted around the table to see if I could find the signed receipt lying somewhere in the vicinity.  It was a breezy afternoon and it was entirely possible for it to have simply blown away.  I spotted a white piece of paper next to the stone-lined boardwalk about 30 feet away.   I briskly walked over to it.  Damn.  A chopstick wrapper. 

Defeated, I walked back into my section as I continued to be sat new tables. As I greeted the new guests, I couldn’t focus.  I was completely distraught.  All I could think about was that missing credit card slip.  Even as I took orders, I continued to look around to see if I could find another white piece of paper anywhere. 

It’s amazing how one snafu in your day can begin to screw up your focus and your flow for the remainder of your shift.

I had a thought.  Did that table have a reservation?  It was, after all, a party of five.  I asked the host.  She checked the computer.  It was.  I jumped a little and almost screamed from excitement.    That means there was a phone number I could call.  We looked up the name and it wasn’t the name of the person who paid (I didn’t remember his name exactly but I knew it wasn’t the name on the reservation). 

I decided to call anyway, although I was a bit nervous.  I got his voicemail.  Screw it.  If I’m going this far, I might as well leave a message. The worst that could happen is I don’t get a call back and I don’t get a tip (which was the case at that point anyway).  I left a voicemail asking him to contact the man who paid and ask about the slip’s whereabouts.  It was an awkward voicemail to say the least. 

However, at that point, I felt better.  At least I could say I tried and did all I could to get that tip back, regardless of the outcome.  I continued to wait tables and go on with my day, although still a bit distressed.   

About a solid forty-five minutes later, as I was talking to a guest I saw the host staring at me and waving me over.  I quickly finished my conversation at the table and walked over to her.  She said, “You’re guy called back and he’s on hold.”   My mouth dropped.  Will this be good or bad news?  I took a deep breath and picked up the phone. 

The guy said he talked to his friend who paid and he accidently took both credit card slips.  He tipped me (close to $100) and said he was very sorry about the mix up.  I waved my manager over so he could confirm the amount with her.  I thanked him several more times again and told him how much he truly made my day.  

Wow.  There are still good people out there.  Lord knows as servers, many days we aren’t so sure.  But when a situation like this occurs, I’m reassured I can still have faith in humanity.  ~ HK ~

No comments:

Post a Comment