Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Stuck in the Eye of the Storm

It's been a while since my last post.  I guess I've been in a bit of a funk.  Over the past week, work has been very sporadic and confusing.  A busy day, followed by a slow one.  A boring first hour of waiting around then "BAM!" like lightening out of the sky a flash of people blast through the restaurant; then just as quickly as it came, they're gone.  Back to the calm of the eye of the storm.   

The restaurant world is not a place for people who embrace the balanced and stable work environment.  I'm a capricious woman, and I love not knowing what to expect everyday when I walk into work.  There's a certain allure to it all....  The clients we meet and the places they come from, the management changes and their moods, the corporate world dining and schmoozing, the social aspect of it, the gossip (good Lord), the pedicabs pedaling along the boardwalk blasting their highly inappropriate music, the internal structural changes, people trying to break laws, the sociology of it all, the employee hiring, firing and quitting.  It's fascinating.

But I'm bored.  I'm bored of it all.  Lately when I've been walking into work, I tell one of my food runners, "Otra dia mas..."  He nods his head and smile and repeats it back to me.  He's worked there, in that same hotel, in the same restaurant, in that same position for over ten years.  It really is an otra dia mas for him.  But in an industry so dynamic, so unpredictable, how can I be bored?  I remember serving being fun.  What happened?

I want my hurricane back.  Maybe I'm stuck in that eye of the storm.  When am I going to reach the other side? 

Perhaps this eye, this funk I'm, in has to do with the June gloom, the famous coastal San Diego fog that sits grey and heavy in the sky this time of the year.  I think it makes all of San Diego depressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment