Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rock 'n Roll Marathoners

The famous San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon was on Sunday.  Downtown was filled with 40,000 runners, selling out every hotel in the area.  All of a sudden, it seemed like everyone walking and jogging along the boardwalk was insanely fit.  It made for excellent people watching while clients dined and stuffed their faces.  What was bothering me, however, was the amount of neon running shoes and workout clothes I saw.  Since when did bright neon become a popular fitness color again?  I know the 80's style is back and all (puke), but what gives!  I understand that neon is great as far as safety when you're jogging along the road, and for that, it definitely serves a purpose.  But as far a fashion, this bright lime/yellow/orange it's hideous.  I'm a fan of hot pink, because, let's face it, blondes look great in hot pink.  But these other neon colors are driving me crazy.   

Okay, I'm done venting about neon. 

I waited on a 70 year old Italian man who was here for the marathon.  He ate a huge bowl of pasta on  Saturday, along with a Heineken.  He followed that with a chocolate dessert and paired it with a sweet Riesling from Mosel.  He tipped me well, 35%.  He was back the next day, around noon or so after the race.  He told me he finished the half marathon in one hour and 50 minutes.  That's amazing.  I "ran" a 10K a few years ago in one hour and seven minutes (just less than half the distance of a half marathon).  When I told him that he replied, "You mean, you walked."  Low blow old man!  But I had to laugh.  I never walked.  Of course, I probably did start my race at the pace of a tortoise.  But I finished strong.  I love seeing older people so fit, and yet, still eating and drinking so well. 

I also waited on a larger woman, who said she was here for the marathon.  I was a bit surprised, because she was quite big.  But I thought, good for her!  I waited on her Friday night.  She had a couple glasses of wine, and a three course meal.  She was a coach for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training and was ultra friendly.  She was back in the restaurant Sunday after the race with four others.  She apparently walked the half marathon and said she was the last one to finish.  However, she beat her time from the previous year by three minutes.  She was proud.  Of course then she proceeded to order a cheeseburger, fries and a cold beer.  But more power to her.  She's doing an amazing thing, for an even better cause.  She was inspiring in her own way. 

Most of the clients that weekend were very friendly and excited to be in San Diego for the big race.  I know I feel better when I work out all the time.  It's amazing what natural endorphins can do for the psyche. 

I wish there was a marathon every weekend in San Diego.  Good vibes.  Happy people.  Great tippers. 

Except for those damn neon shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment