Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

A Mind Trip Back in Chile

I traveled to Santiago, Chile last month where I used to co-own and operate two American sports bar restaurants for three and a half years.  It had been, oddly enough, exactly three and a half years since I was last there.  Talk about a roller coaster of emotions.  But I won’t bore you with details about how bizarre it felt being in my old restaurant with no one having a clue of who I was or the fact that it had doubled in size (not to mention the mind trip of seeing my two ex-partners, one of whom is my ex-husband).  I think I’ll skip all of that.   

I’d rather share a mind trip of a different kind.  A journey back into my old life in one of my favorite places; one of the most established and well-known restaurants in Santiago. 

It’s a well-known fact most people who work in the food and beverage industry love to eat and drink.  We love to experience new restaurants and new ambiances; new foods, flavors, local beers, trendy cocktails and local and/or well-known wines (always my drink of choice.)  And, not surprisingly, we love to be waited on. *  But almost as enticing as experiencing the new places and flavors of a town, is a draw to that favorite spot; the place you hold close to your heart.  The place you’ve been to so many times you can’t even being to count them all.  The place you’ve shared laughs with so many friends (and strangers) you can’t even begin to remember them all. 

The first place I wanted to go to upon arrival into Santiago was that restaurant.  It was the first restaurant I ever went to when I moved to Santiago (and it became the restaurant of choice multiple times a month the entire time I lived there); a place called Liguria. 

Liguria is named after a beautiful coastal region of northwestern Italy.   With that being said, it’s not a typical Italian restaurant.  They offer all types of meat dishes, tons of seafood, plenty of vegetable options as well as the expected daily pasta entrées.  Anything can be a al carte, entrée style or small plates to share.  This place in no way represents Italy to me.  It represents Santiago de Chile, cien por ciento.

Practically every single time we went to Liguria, a Chilean name Edmundo waited on us (we eventually - and politely as possible - stole Edmundo from Liguria and made him a partner of our restaurant as well as a general manager).   Edmundo represented the best of Chilean service.  Every dining experience, without fail, he was fun, friendly, accommodating, treated us like royalty and we couldn’t get enough of it (hence our multiple monthly fixes). 

Edmundo picked me up from the airport.  He asked me where I wanted to go first.  I enthusiastically replied, “Liguria!  Por su puesto!”  We laughed, talked and reminisced about all of our ridiculous moments there.  It seemed like a lifetime ago…

After a much needed shower and nap (after eighteen hours of travel), I headed out the door and walked over to Liguria.  I couldn’t have felt more alive at that moment.  Because Edmundo and my Chilean friend Wally were on “South American time,” I arrived first.  I sat at the bar and ordered the famous Chilean Pisco Sour (Chile and Peru have been in a battle of sorts for years over who developed the liquor Pisco first).  At the first sip, nostalgia kicked in.  And just like that, I was back in my old life.

At Liguria. The Famous Chilean Pisco Sour. 

After chitchatting with a local, explaining to him I hadn’t had a Pisco Sour in over three years, Edmundo and Wally arrived.  We got a table and ordered a round of Pisco Sours and a bottle of wine, Chilean of course.  The entire staff knew Edmundo, so obviously we were treated like royalty.  After ordering small dishes of lamb with brown sauce, chicken with garlic sauce, sautéed vegetables and creamed spinach to share (and another bottle of wine… or two), I realized how truly special that moment was.  Not only was I dining in my favorite restaurant from my old life, but for the first time, I realized, I was actually dining with Edmundo in Liguria.    How times had changed.

At Liguria.  From left: Edmundo, Wally and Myself.
Toasting with Pisco Sours and about to open that bottle of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. 

At Liguria.  Their famous meat and vegetable share plates.

I could probably write an entire book about all of my favorite restaurants I revisited while in Santiago, along with all of the memories that came with it.  I realized on my vacation that most of my favorite memories in Santiago were dining and drinking with friends in restaurants (my own restaurant included of course).

Which brings me to my point. 

Working in the restaurant industry, although it can include long hours, stressful moments, dealing with demanding people and unfortunately, can be looked down upon as a career choice, is something to truly be proud of.  We are a part of making other people’s memories unforgettable, hopefully in a positive way.  Because when it comes to remembering a special place, whether it’s in your hometown (or in a land far, far away), odds are, you were surrounded by delicious food, your beverage of choice and great friends.

At least that’s how I feel.  And I’m pretty sure Anthony Bourdain would agree.

And yet another reason why I love serving humanity.  ~ HK ~


* I touched on this subject (of how servers love to be waited on) in an older post titled ‘Reciprocation Vacation’ (July 28, 2012) when I ate and drank my way trough Napa and Sonoma. 
http://ontheflyplease.blogspot.com/2012/07/reciprocation-vacation.html

No comments:

Post a Comment