Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Just Roll With It


I love when a potentially awkward situation at a table isn’t a big deal whatsoever because the people I’m waiting on are just that friendly, fun and entertaining.  If only all of the guests I waited on were as cool as this group, my job would be so much more enjoyable.

I walked up to a table of three men.  Immediately one of them looked at my nametag and used my name to say hello.   I love when this happens.  It usually signifies he/she a true people person who likes to connect with others.  I do the same thing when I go out.  So logically, I felt a connection with this table right away.

The three of them had been out in the sun for what must have been the majority of the day based on how sunburned and tan they were.   They looked a bit parched and acted similarly.  The same guest who used my name ordered a bottle of wine and stated he wanted to drink a California Zinfandel while they were in California (they were visiting from Michigan).   He ordered a bottle.  When I brought it out and opened it, I noticed it had a slight brown hue.  That’s not a good sign.  The first guy tried it and said, “Hmmm… “  He didn’t say it was bad but I knew it wasn’t good.  I poured the other two gentlemen a small glass anyway.  I told them, “Zinfandel’s aren’t usually this brownish color.  They’re usually deep purple and more dark berry-like in color.  It might have turned.”   Disappointed with this bottle and feeling let down (as I’m sure they were as well), I offered to bring them a different one.   That’s when one of the guys piped up and said he’d drink it regardless and we all shared a laugh.

After checking on a few other tables, I returned to my Michigan table.  The one who ordered the Zin looked up at me, used my name again and told me they just couldn’t do it – they wanted a different bottle.   Strike one. 

I agreed, apologized and brought them the wine menu again.  He picked a different California Zin.  After visiting a few more tables, I returned with his second choice, opened the bottle and poured the second first glass.  He didn’t seem too pleased.  He gave me another pensive, yet comical look.  I felt bad.  I asked him what he thought and he didn’t say much.  At this point I was wondering if they were just buzzed from the days adventures or just messing with me… or a little bit of both.  So I thought I might as well play along.    

I picked up a red wine glass to taste this one myself.  One of the guys said, “What, you don’t believe us?”  I said, “Of course I believe you,” and with a slight sense of sarcasm I kept going, “I just want to join the party.”  We all laughed.  I poured a small sip into the glass.  It smelled like cardboard; a dead giveaway for a corked bottle.  I took a sip anyway.  “Yep.  Corked.”  Damn.  Strike Two. 

In an effort to not get a full-blown strike out, I recommended he pick a label he knew (unfortunately, as I knew his whole intention with choosing the other wines was to experiment with wines he didn’t know).   Just then one of the other guys cracked, “I’m about ready to just to go with a Jack and Coke at this point.”  Luckily his tone was playful and he said it with a smile, although I’m sure a Jack and Coke did sound great at that point.    

After talking briefly with a few other tables, I got the third bottle of Zin.  I opened it and poured a bit into his glass.  It wasn’t brown.  That was an improvement.  And it didn’t seem corked.  Also a plus.  He took a sip and faked spitting it out.  We all laughed out loud.  He quipped, “Just kidding.  It’s great.”  Yes! Saved from a strike out.     

I’ve had a few scenarios in my time as a server where this similar situation didn’t play out well.  It either ended in a) having to speak with a manager, or b) comping their entire meal, or c) the guest becomes so irritated that their group walks out altogether.  But these Michigan natives kept their cool.  And although I’m sure it was irritating on many levels, they didn’t let it be known to me and decided to just have fun and roll with it.

And roll with it we did. 

Thank God for people like this in the world; it’s these types of individuals that keep me serving humanity.  ~ HK ~


1 comment: