Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

An Upgrade to Serving Humanity


I changed the title of my blog to Serving Humanity.  

It was long overdue.  I had the idea of Serving Humanity a few months ago, but I wanted some time to let it settle into my head before I changed it arbitrarily.

As I approach my first anniversary of beginning this endeavor, I knew it was time for a change – actually scratch that - an upgrade.   Throughout the months I’ve written, I’ve realized this blog is about much more than just the food and beverage industry.  My original title “F&B Industry Blog” was purely informative, alerting my readers of its content, or so I thought.  The title implied it was solely about the insider’s perspective of the restaurant industry, not much else.  However, after almost a year of writing, I’ve realized the majority of my writing is about the people I meet, not solely about the restaurant industry itself.  Yes, I blend the two themes together as best I can.  But I’ve realized my passion lies with the people I meet; whether they’re high maintenance, shockingly friendly or the rudest people on the planet, they all fascinate me.   

On average, I interact with 25-50 strangers everyday as a server.  Personally, that’s what makes my job so stimulating.    If you’ve recently become a server and can honestly say you hate people, get out quick.  This is not the job for you. The restaurant industry is, after all, about hospitality.   Food and beverage is a key component, of course, but most importantly it’s about the people we serve; humanity.   

I’ve been learning to trust my first gut instinct as I’ve ignored it a lot in the past and have suffered the consequences.  My gut told me Serving Humanity was the perfect upgraded title.  Yes I did say I thought of this a few months ago (and based on this new philosophy I’ve been trying to embrace, I should have posted it a few months ago).   But I am a work in process.  Aren’t we all?

Heavy stuff for a Monday morning.  ~ HK ~

1 comment: